October 19, 2010
The 12th annual Butt-Numb-A-Thon (BNAT) was announced several days ago by creator and local legendary film blogger, Harry Knowles. To the delight of cinephiles everywhere, this years theme will be The Dirty Dozeth, in respect to the film and it being the 12th BNAT ever held.
So what the heck is the Butt-Numb-A-Thon anyway? Why on earth would you ever subject your ass to the hash pains of a numbing movie seat?
Well, in the world of film fanatics, the BNAT is like the holy grail of movie going experiences. 12 years ago, Alamo Drafthouse creator, Tim Leauge, asked Harry Knowles to create a 24 hour extravaganza for his birthday. Every year around Knowles’ birthday (December 11th), BNAT will commence to bring its lucky audience 24 hours of unrestricted movie ecstasy which is at the mercy of Harry’s own personal choice and mercy. The films are always kept confidential to everyone except Knowles and League, until they start rolling. Last year’s BNATs had advanced screenings of Avatar, Shutter Island, and Kick Ass. Aside from the amazing screenings and film selections shown, BNAT is also filled with games, surprises and director/cast Q & A’s.
Sounds like you want to go? Yeah, well you and everyone else who knows about it. In fact, the BNAT has so many attempted attendees that it is one of the hardest parties you will ever try to get into. No press credentials can get you past this point- the BNAT is reserved only for the most die hard movie fans in town. Those who do get to enter the realm of the almighty are deemed as “BNATTERS”, and take pride in being selected- and they should.
Harry Knowles describes the event:
“What is the BNAT event itself? Well, that is an individual evaluation…it means different things to different people. I know people that have literally had their lives changed forever from BNAT.”
Think you got what it takes? The Butt-Numb-A-Thon submission form will be posted online this week. This application process asks that you answer specific questions including:
7. “Who would you rather be punched in the face by: Lee Marvin, Clint Walker, Telly Savalas, Donald Sutherland, Robert Ryan, John Cassavetes, Jim Brown, Charles Bronson or Ernest Borgnine- and why?”
10. “Director Robert Aldrich teamed up with Ralph Meeker in 1955’s KISS ME DEADLY- if you have seen this movie, tell me your favorite moment in the film & why. ( A blank answer here will be frowned upon, so do what you can to see it. I promise- you’ll soon see why it is one of Robert Rodriquez & mine’s favorite films to chat about.) “
13. “Tell me your Jim Brown fantasy?”
14. ” WHY DO YOU DESERVE ADMISSION TO BUTT-NUMB-A-THON: THE DIRTY DOZENTH”
15. “How would you humiliate Jeff ‘The Jew’ Mahler this year? “
A thought provoking application with potential rewards that are well worth your time. Butt numbing fun in 2010 never looked so good.